WARNING: PREPARE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
DAVID GUNDERMAN’S SEARED SCALLOPS OVER BROWN RICE WITH MUSHROOMS AND BRUSSEL SPROUTS IN PANCETTA AND PARMESAN
· 1 lb dry Sea Scallops
· 6 oz. Parmesan Cheese, grated (freshly grated)
· 16 fresh brussel sprouts
· 1 package (about 8 oz) Pancetta
· 1 lemon
· 1 cup Brown Rice
· Garlic Salt
· Unsalted butter
· Baby Bella Mushrooms
· Salt and Pepper
· Olive Oil
· RICE: Bring 2 ½ cups of salted water and 1 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil to a boil. Add 1 cup brown rice, return to a boil, cover reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes. Toss with extra virgin olive oil and Parmesan Cheese and baby bellas.* Add Salt and pepper to taste and cover.
· BABY BELLAS: Sautee baby bella mushrooms in butter, garlic salt, and pepper over medium heat for 15-20 minutes until mushrooms reduce. And cover.
· BRUSSEL SPROUTS: Halve the brussel sprouts, removing exterior leaves. Halve and squeeze juice of ½ lemon over halved brussels. Salt the flat half of brussel sprouts. Render the pancetta fat. Place salted flat sides of brussel sprouts in skillet and sauté on medium heat to caramelize Brussels as you crisp the pancetta. Finish with Parmesan Cheese. Cover.
· SCALLOPS: Remove the small side muscle from the scallops, rinse with cold water and thoroughly pat dry. Add the butter and oil to a sautee pan on high heat. Salt and pepper the scallops. Once the fat begins to smoke, add scallops making sure they don’t touch each other. SEAR the scallops for 1 ½ minutes on each side. The scallops should have a ¼ inch golden crust on each side and still be translucent in the center. Serve immediately with the accompanying brussel sprouts and brown rice.
RENEE CHODKOWSKI’S SWEET AND SAVORY PORK TENDERLOIN WITH PUMPKIN SAGE PENNE
Ingredients for Pork Tenderloin:
· 2 one lb pork tenderloins, rinsed and cleaned
· 1 cup breadcrumbs
· ½ teaspoon curry, lemon pepper seasoning, and pumpkin pie spice
· 2 t sage, ground or rubbed
· 1 t paprika
· 1 t salt
· Mix dry ingredients together to blend. Store covered. Place crust mixture in shallow bowl or plate. Roll tenderloin in crust to coat well on all sides. Preheat oven to 350. Add 2 T olive oil to large skillet and heat to shimmering over medium high heat. Add crusted tenderloin and sear on all sides until browned. Transfer to baking dish, making sure tenderloins are not touching. Bake uncovered about 20 to 25 minutes or until meat tests 165. Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving. Slice and serve.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Sage Penne
· 16 oz penne pasta, cooked to al dente and drained
· 2 T butter
· 1/3 cup brown sugar
· 2 T olive oil
· 2 t salt
· ½ cup diced onion
· 1 1/2 t red pepper flakes
· 2 cloves pressed garlic
· 1 t ground or rubbed sage
· 8 oz cream cheese, softened
· ½ t ground black pepper
· 2 cups chicken broth (or more to taste)
· 3 cups canned or 3 cups mashed pumpkin
· Parmesan or asiago cheese for garnish
· In large skillet, brown onion and garlic in butter and olive oil until translucent over medium heat. Add garlic and stir to combine. Add cream cheese and continue to stir until melted. Slowly add chicken broth, stirring constantly to incorporate. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine and blend. If mixture seems pasty or thick, add water or more chicken broth until desired consistency is achieved. Reduce heat to warm, stirring occasionally. When ready to serve, add to pasta, stir to blend and garnish with grated parmesan or asiago cheese.
erves are tested as the judges continue to winnow down the Top 100 in their search for the America’s best amateur cook in the all-new “Audition #2” episode of MASTERCHEF airing Tuesday, June 7 (8:00-9:00 PM) on FOX 50.