ALICE PHILLIPS’ HERB CRUSTED BONE-IN PORK CHOP
WITH SOUTHERN GREENS & SWEET POTATO FRIES
WARNING: PREPARE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Ingredients for Pork Chop:
· Thick cut bone-in pork chop
· Panko Bread Crumbs/Italian Style
· Fresh kale and/or collards, chard
· ½ can cannellini beans (can substitute canned navy beans)
· 2 Shallots
· 4 Garlic cloves
· (5 slices) Bacon
· ½ cup Chicken Broth
· 1 Sweet potato/large or 2 small
· ½ stick Butter
· Red Pepper Flakes
· 1 pint Fresh Raspberries
· 1 Lemon/lemon zest
· Honey or Agave
· Salt & Pepper
· Fresh Italian parsley
· 2-3 tbl Chipotle infused olive oil
· Trim pork chop so bone is noticeable. Press in salt and pepper to each side of the pork chop. Let pork chop sit for about 20 minutes. Beat egg. Dip pork chop in the egg mixture. Add more salt/pepper as needed. Coat in panko Italian bread crumbs. Drizzle olive oil into skillet. Use a medium to high heat. Place chop in pan. It should sizzle. Cook on each side about 2 minutes reducing heat. Each side should be golden brown and crispy. Reduce heat to low. Cover and let pork chop cook on low heat about 8-10 minutes until done. Juices start oozing out or do the finger test. Turn off heat and let covered chop sit for a few minutes. Remove lid, turn up heat and re-crisp one side. (The side that will be turned up when plated.)
Comfort Sides: Southern Greens & Sweet Potato Fries
· Shallow bowl
· Small Saucepan w/lid
· Fry pan or skillets w/lids…(2)…one large/one medium
· Wooden Spoon
· Slotted spoon
· Un-slotted spoon
· Small bowl
· Two small plates
· Pie pan or casserole plate
· Cookie sheet
· Santuko knife 7”/paring knife 3”
· Measuring spoons/cups
· Can opener
· Egg Flipper (flexible)
· Dish towels (2)
Pan Grilled Greens with Cannellini Beans
· Clean, de-vein, and chop finely the fresh greens. Finely cut up shallots and garlic. In saucepan, dice up bacon and fry. Remove crispy bacon and drain on paper towel. Set aside. To bacon drippings add 2-3 pats of butter, the shallots and garlic, cook on medium to low heat until tender. Add greens, a splash of chicken broth and salt, pepper, red pepper flakes (to taste). Bring heat up to sizzle, toss w/tons and blend, turn down heat, cover and let simmer and steam about 20 minutes. Add a 1/2 can (or more if you like) of drained cannellini beans or white navy beans, toss, cover and let sit for another 15 minutes.
Oven Roasted Sweet Potato Fries with Raspberry Chipotle Sauce
· Peel sweet potatoes. Cut into fries, all about the same size for even cooking. Place on cookie sheet. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and toss potatoes. Lightly salt. Oven roast at 425 for about 10-15 minutes or until tender. To get crispier, turn on broiler and brown…watch carefully! Remove, drain on paper towels. Serve with raspberry chipotle sauce.
Raspberry Chipotle Sauce
· In saucepan place pint of (preferably fresh…you can use frozen) raspberries and about 2 tbl of chipotle infused olive oil. Turn heat to medium, smash raspberries, add fresh lemon zest and juice of 1/3 lemon. Add honey or agave to sweeten to taste. Turn heat to low and let simmer a few minutes to thicken slightly.
· On the bed of greens/beans place the crispy pork chop. Stack fries 3 to a row, reverse directions 12 to 15 fries. Or you can create your own design. Place a dollop on the raspberry chipotle sauce on top of the fries.
THE SEARCH BEGINS FOR AMERICA’S BEST AMATEUR COOK ON THE SEASON PREMIERE OF “MASTERCHEF” ON FOX 50
After conducting a nationwide search, 100 of the best amateur cooks in America, including a police officer, an oil rig engineer, an interior designer, a forklift operator, a professional poker player, a classical pianist and a tattoo shop owner, were flown to Los Angeles in the hopes of becoming the next MASTERCHEF and walking away with the life-changing grand prize. The hopefuls will prepare their signature dishes and present them to judges Gordon Ramsay, Joe Bastianich and Graham Elliot. The amateur cooks will be put through the paces, and only the most deserving among them will win the coveted white apron and move on to the next round of the competition on the “Season Premiere” episode of MASTERCHEF airing on FOX 50.