How Do You Settle a Workers’ Compensation Claim?


Story Updated: Aug 7, 2013

How Do You Settle a Workers' Compensation Claim?

There are several ways to settle a workers' compensation claim, depending on whether the injured worker returns to work with his employer.

An employee who returns to work can settle for his or her PPD or "rating" benefits by using an Industrial Commission Form 26A. Under the Form 26A, the employee is paid rating benefits based on the permanent impairment rating assigned by his doctor. When settling on a Form 26A, the injured worker has two years, from the date the last payment of compensation is made, to reopen his claim for disability benefits or medical compensation. If the two-year period lapses with no further action, the claim ends.

An employee who returns to a job that pays lesser wages can still settle his claim by an Industrial Commission form. The worker is entitled to choose the more favorable remedy, or the benefits that pay the most money - PPD benefits or TPD "wage-loss" benefits.

Finally, an injured worker, particularly one who has not returned to work, can enter a final settlement, or "clincher" agreement, for payment of future disability benefits and medical compensation. Insurance companies are motivated to "clincher" a claim, which closes the case forever, and will often pay the injured worker a lump sum of money for a clincher agreement. Once the injured worker and the insurance company enter a clincher agreement and the agreement is approved by the North Carolina Industrial Commission, the claim cannot be reopened.

Importantly, an injured employee who remains out of work and continues to receive disability benefits has no obligation to settle his workers' compensation claim. If an employee is permanently disabled from any type of employment, he or she may be entitled to receive weekly disability benefits for life.

If you need any help please call Martin & Jones


You have indicated this comment should be removed.


The comment has been submitted for review. Thank you .

D T said on Monday, Apr 6 at 8:45 PM

I have open medical for spinal stenosis neck fusion and hypertension which was work related state police all work related cant work at all should I get disability or any thing from work comp

Inappropriate? Alert Us!

Add a comment


Comment: 1000 Characters Left | Raleigh Durham Fayetteville and its affiliated companies are not responsible for the content of comments posted or for anything arising out of use of the above comments or other interaction among the users. We reserve the right to screen, refuse to post, remove or edit user-generated content at any time and for any or no reason in our absolute and sole discretion without prior notice, although we have no duty to do so or to monitor any Public Forum.