- Where and when will FOX 50’s Local American Idol Auditions be held?
- Are auditions by appointment or cattle call style?
- When can I line up and where do I need to be?
- Where do I get the application form?
- Who’s eligible to audition?
- If I have a contract or a manager for anything entertainment related (but not involving music), am I eligible to compete?
- How many people are you auditioning?
- Who can audition?
- What should I bring to the audition?
- I’m under 18 and want to audition. What do I need?
- Can I bring friends or family to the audition?
- Can I bring a musical instrument with me to the audition?
- What should I sing at the audition?
- What can I wear at my audition?
- So what happens at the audition?
- What are the judges looking for in my performance?
- When will the grand prize winner be announced?
- What’s the grand prize?
- Does the trip to Little Rock include hotel and airfare?
- What if I’m not available on the published dates?
- If I don’t win this audition, am I still permitted to go to the national auditions?
- Okay, is there anything else you can tell me? Please? Pretty please?
Auditions will be held at Crabtree Valley Mall in Raleigh on Saturday, August 1. Registration begins at 9:00AM and ends at 12 Noon. No one will be registered after 12 Noon.
Each singer will be assigned a number, which must be presented at the time of audition. Being in line and/or registering does NOT guarantee an audition. If you are not available when your number is called, you will be disqualified.
NO lines may form before 5:00 AM on Saturday, August 1. No camping out allowed.
The ONLY place you can get the rules and mandatory application form is from FOX50.com. [And make sure it’s not the national American Idol Application form. Having the wrong form could get you disqualified. Forms WILL NOT be available at Crabtree Valley Mall.]
Please check with the official rules for all the eligibility requirements. Here are the main ones:
- A legal U.S. citizen or a permanent U.S. resident who is eligible to work full-time in the U.S. and a resident of one of these North Carolina counties: Chatham, Cumberland, Durham, Edgecombe, Franklin, Granville, Halifax, Harnett, Hoke, Johnston, Lee, Moore, Nash, Northampton, Orange, Person, Sampson, Vance, Wake, Warren, Wayne or Wilson.
- 15 to 28 years old (which means you must be born on or between June 2, 1986 and June 1, 2000). If you were born before or after this, you are not eligible to audition.
For the local FOX 50 audition, you are NOT eligible to audition if you have any type of a contract for talent representation. (For eligibility requirements at the national auditions, please visit: www.americanidol.com/auditions )
The audition will be limited to eligible contestants who comply with the official rules. Auditions will start at 1:00pm. We cannot guarantee everyone will get the chance to audition, but every effort will be made.
Individual vocalists age 15 to 28 (which means you must be born on or between June 2, 1986 and June 1, 2000). If you were born before or after this, you are not eligible to audition.
- Two (2) forms of Identification (I.D.) that prove your age and residence. At least one must be a photo I.D. Acceptable forms of identification are: valid driver’s license, valid state issued I.D. card, valid student I.D., valid military I.D., valid passport, current utility bill or lease in your name, current vehicle registration, pay stub, voter registration card and birth certificate.
- The FOX 50 Audition registration form completely, accurately & truthfully filled out. Forms will not be available at the auditions! National audition forms will not be accepted.
- If you are UNDER 18 years of age, you must bring two (2) forms of identification (I.D.) that prove your age and residence (see list above) AND you must be accompanied by your parent or legal guardian. Parent must bring their photo I.D. and proof of parenthood (for example, birth certificate). Legal guardian must bring their photo I.D. and proof of guardianship (for example, a court order). Legal guardian must be 21 years of age or older.
If you are under 18 years of age, you must be accompanied by your parent or legal guardian. Parent must bring a photo I.D. and proof of parenthood (for example, birth certificate). Legal guardian must bring a photo I.D. and proof of guardianship (for example, a court order). Legal Guardian must be 21 years of age or older.
YES! Bring as many folks as you want to the audition. But, we ask that you try to limit the number of folks in line with you. Also, you are NOT allowed to bring chairs of any kind to the mall.
No instruments can be used during your audition. All auditions are a cappella (without music).
Be prepared to sing a song, or portion of a song, of your choice a cappella (without tracks or instruments.) You may be stopped at any time during your song. [In other words, you sing until they ask you to stop.] Also, remember that your audition will be held in a public place. So avoid songs that are not appropriate for public listening. (No profanity or lewd lyrics.)
It’s up to you, but please remember that you will perform in a public place. Contest officials reserve the right to make contestants alter or change their wardrobe before auditioning.
Contestants will be called in numerical order and allowed to sing a song of their choice. A panel of judges will select ONE winner based on vocal quality, performance and overall stage presence.
Great local singers with a lot of personality and talent! Singers will be judged on vocal quality, performance and overall stage presence.
The Grand Prize winner will be announced during the WRAL 7-9am News on FOX 50 on Monday, August 3 and posted on FOX50.com. The Grand Prize winner must meet all eligibility requirements.
There will be ONE Grand Prize winner selected.
The Grand Prize winner will receive:
- A guaranteed audition with the producers of AMERICAN IDOL and a Meet & Greet with the AMERICAN IDOL Season 15 Judges scheduled for Sunday, August 23, 2015 in Little Rock, Arkansas.
Yes: hotel accommodations for two (2) people for two (2) nights (double occupancy) in Little Rock, Arkansas and round trip airfare for two (2) between Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU) and Little Rock, Arkansas. Any vocal singers under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian, which will count as “guest”. Please see official rules for costs that are not covered.
If you’re not available for the dates listed in the grand prize, you will forfeit the entire package. PLEASE make sure you are available for ALL dates before you register.
Yes. Find out more about the national auditions: www.americanidol.com/auditions
Well, since you said please…here’s some advice to help everyone give their very best audition!
- Get a photo ID. Gotta have one. If you don’t have one (like a Driver’s License,) we recommend you take care of that ASAP. [One solution is to go to your local DMV office and get a North Carolina Identification Card.]
- Come prepared. There will be NO forms available at the mall. Also, make sure you have all of your forms and necessary ID. Double-check before you leave the house. Forgetting something will cause you not only a lot of grief, but it might cost you your spot if you have to leave and get something!
- Eat and drink! We know some of you are gonna be nervous about auditions; it’s natural. But you still have to play it smart! During the day of auditions, make sure you plan to eat appropriately and drink plenty of water.
- Play to your strengths. As we mentioned earlier, you can choose almost any song to sing. So go ahead and pick the song style that is going to show off your skills the best.
- Get to the “good stuff.” Don’t be surprised if your time on stage goes by REALLY fast! So get the most out of your audition by getting to the “good stuff” quick. Lots of people want to hold off and save it for the end. Our advice? Don’t hold back because you may run out of time.
- Enjoy it! Sure, auditions can be absolutely crazy and nerve-wracking, but they can also be a blast! Just keep a positive attitude, be friendly towards everybody, concentrate on your performance, and enjoy being a part of FOX 50’s LOCAL AMERICAN IDOL AUDITION CONTEST!
And of course, this just in from the “covering ALL the bases” department:
(when you read it to yourself, pretend it’s James Earl Jones voice. Lot more enjoyable.)
IF THERE ARE ANY INCONSISTENCIES BETWEEN THESE FAQs AND THE OFFICIAL RULES, TERMS & CONDITIONS FOR THE CONTEST, THE OFFICIAL RULES, TERMS & CONDITIONS WILL GOVERN.